Wednesday 29 December 2010

Best albums of 2010 :)

"Those lines that I before have writ do lie,
Even those that said I could not love you dearer:
Yet then my judgment knew no reason why
My most full flame should afterwards burn clearer."
Sonnet 115 - William Shakespeare

Sometimes passion returns with a vengeance and that's what happened last year. Here's my list of 10 Albums of 2010, in alphabetical order - please click the titles to listen:

1. Antony & The Johnsons - Swanlights
I saw Antony last year and his concert made it to my list then. Must admit that I did like 'The Crying Light' a bit better than this album but Antony's albums are always of such high quality that they make it to my top ten!

2. Daníel Bjarnason - Processions
What a revelation to hear this album! Awesome music on the crossroads of experimental, noise & classical. This should have been on my list of 2009 because that's when a few lucky devils (including me) got the special pre-order edition... but it came out officially in 2010. Will be seeing Daníel at Cross-Linx festival in February and looking forward to that very, very much!

3. John Grant - The Queen Of Denmark
Discovery of the year for me. Very intense and self deprecating (with tongue in cheek), just the way I like it! Hope to see him live sometime.

4. Nico Muhly - I Drink The Air Before Me
This album blew me away, it's soooo powerful! Everyone should listen to this at least once. Saw Nico live 3 times last year and already have 2 concerts planned (with tickets in hand) for January 2011! Talk about crossroads... Nico is always exploring new horizons while working with some of the finest musicians in both the classical and pop/rock world. Catch one his many gigs if you can!

5. Owen Pallett - Heartland
Intellectual pop with an edge, always a pleasure to listen to. Will catch Owen at Cross-Linx festival as well! (hey, guess cross-linx music is my music)

6. Rufus Wainwright - All Days Are Nights, Songs For Lulu
Ah, what can I say? Back with a vengeance indeed. The album I've been waiting for: pure, naked Rufus (lol, I wish). Only for the initiated! Attended 3 of his solo shows and already have tickets for 3 more in July 2011...

7. Sam Amidon - I See The Sign
I did a blog review of this album a while ago. Sam at his best with haunting folk songs that will touch you to the bone. Was lucky to catch him live 3 times this year, once with The Whale Watching Tour and twice solo. Amazing experiences!

8. Sufjan Stevens - The Age Of Adz
The Brooklyn Scene on spots 8 & 9. Sufjan surprises again with a very upbeat album. Again, melodies with a twist and layers of sound & meaning. Get dancing!

9. The National - High Violet
I just love the side projects of the band members, always in for some fun. Hope to see the Dessner Bros perform in some side projects (along with a full set of The National) at Cross-Linx festival next February...

10. Valgeir Sigurðsson - Draumalandið
Ah, Valgeir - one of the friendliest and most generous musician/composers I've met last year. Turned out an album called Dreamland but don't be fooled by the title! Powerful landscapes of sound that are sometimes soothing and sometimes menacing, like Iceland itself I guess. Saw him live twice this year (as a duo with Ben Frost and with The Whale Watching Tour) and both concerts were mindblowing :)

Best concerts tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment